Monday, November 9, 2009

Am I Too Old for This?

Any of my regular or real life readers know that I have a 2-yr old. I don't have a teenager at home swooning over Twilight and let me say...that's a good thing! Why? Because our house couldn't handle two of us! Yes, that's right, I resisted but finally after some non-stop encouragement from a family member who I call a friend, I gave in and read the first book...let me re-phrase, I read the first book in 24 hours. I called her and she came to my rescue and delivered the next three books and within 10 days I read the entire series.
I was captivated like never before, in a book series, and have already started to re-read them. You won't find me in the book isle swooning over the movie guides (my same family friend already loaned me those so I could look in private) and you won't find me decked out in Twilight gear (but my sweatshirt is on order). I've already watched Twilight numerous times and I have my 12:10 am movie ticket for New Moon hanging on the fridge.
So what is it about these books/movies/series? I have no idea but I'm going to take a shot at it. When I first heard about them I heard the word vampires and immediately said, NO WAY. I didn't even consider it again till she was telling me about the story, the love, the fact that it is an easy read but even when I got it home it sat on the table for two days.
I agree with all of the things she told me but it's so much more than that, I can honestly understand the craze and obsession, especially with the teenage audience. Reading these books are like reading someone's journal. You feel, hear, see, sense and experience things through their eyes and heart and when Stephanie Meyer wrote these books she didn't set out to write a bestseller book. She was recording a dream. She gave these people life and, forgive me if you're heard her interviews, but these were like children to her. There are so genuine that it's breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment