Friday, March 19, 2010

Naturally Sweet!


My daughter has never had a sucker. She's not diabetic and doesn't have food problems but she's never eaten a sucker, a candy bar, a brownie and she's nearly 3 years old. How and why you ask?
I can't say it's as easy as it was when she was 1 since she's rapidly approaching the age of, "here do you want a sucker sweetie?" from the bank teller, grocery store clerk, gas station manager but we either say no thanks or we take it and toss it, depending on the situation and I LOVE the places that offer a sticker. That means there are no grocery store tantrums in the check out line and no requests for Pop Tarts on Saturday mornings (they aren't even in the house). She doesn't eat junk food. Don't get me wrong she loves pretzels, popcorn, crackers so we have to read labels for sodium but she'll beg for strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter with a little honey (yes, I know, there's sugar there but it's in the fruit too), and once in awhile she'll have a sugar free cookie. When she has pancakes she has sugar free syrup, for her birthday it's a reduced sugar cake and minimal icing, for dessert it might be a roll with a little honey, a yogurt in a "dessert" flavor, or even a banana.
I don't have an issue with sugar, personally I love sugar, but I've switched to Splenda myself and I am working hard to get over my own addition to sweets, especially chocolate. We are all eating healthier, reading labels more and I know it won't last forever I want her to understand that she can satisfy a craving for something sweet in other ways than chocolate.
With Easter just around the corner I am already working on her basket. There are some bubbles, a small kite, some seeds to plant and a puzzle but no candy. I'll write more as has basket gets closer to being finished but Easter brings spring weather so there is lots I can add without feeling a need to add a big chocolate bunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment