Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Oven Self Clean- Safety Concern


I am a pretty cautious cooker so when I'm using the oven I rarely have things overflow or splatter but after owning my oven for a couple years I decided it was time for a really good cleaning.I debated on buying a spray on oven cleaner but decided that my oven had a self clean mode so why not use that and save myself some time and a little money. I was aware that it would smell for awhile as it burned off the gunk but what I wasn't aware of was how hot the OUTSIDE of my oven would get. I admit that I didn't get out the book and read so it may be mentioned there but as the parent of a toddler I was quickly pulling chairs over and blocking the front too prevent her small hands from touching the oven.
Sure, the oven was clean and it took a couple hours for the oven to cool back down completely but if you are considering hitting those self-clean buttons, be aware that the inside of your oven might not be the only place that gets really HOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment