Tuesday, April 14, 2009

No Sugar Added Easter

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend! We had a great time with our daughter's first egg hunt, coloring eggs and lots of fun with family. She also received her first TWO Easter baskets! Some people have asked about the type of baskets she got because my husband was raised in a NO SUGAR household and we are doing the same with our daughter. It's not for medical reasons, it's for general health reasons.

In the past week I've heard stories from other parents about the baskets their children have received that are full of chocolate bunnies, sugary peeps, and other treats that we all saw stocked on the shelves for the holiday. But her basket had a kite, a Bible stories book, several small outside play balls, a couple books, goldfish crackers, a daisy plant that she can assemble with help, and lots of other goodies but no candy. I wanted her to have a basket but I didn't want her to need a sugar detox after the weekend.

I can't say that it was always be easy, especially once she's older and can make her own decisions about the food she eats but I hope we raise her to choose healthier options and reserve sweets as treats!

Do you have healthy treat options for your kids? She loves fruit smoothies and they are her favorite treat but I'd love to have a couple other options!

No comments:

Post a Comment