Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Celebrations...on the Beach!


Are you going to a cook-out or party today? Anyone that has ever tried to improve their eating habits knows that the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is not the time to make that change. You've got parties, baked goods, family gatherings and the temptations are endless. But, regardless of when you try to make a change you're going to have to deal with some event or function that will potentially cause your diet to crash. But instead of thinking about falling off the wagon, don't even think about being on a wagon at all. What do I mean by that?
I am trying to improve my lifestyle. I am not on a diet or a temporary change in my eating habits, I am changing the overall way that I eat and approach food in general. To me, that means that I am not obsessed with "falling off of my diet". Going to a cookout means that I get a little more salad, cut up my grilled chicken to add to my salad and skip the bread, have a little potato salad and if I really want some dessert, I have a little. Were my eating habits perfect? Of course not, but I will feel like I can stick to something if I make changes like that. Instead of filling up on potato salad, a hamburger, some corn, baked beans, and a helping of dessert I make better choices that still leaving me content with what I ate.
Be realistic with yourself, your lifestyle and the food you really like to eat. Skipping a small serving of dessert at a party doesn't help if you go home with dessert on your mind and have a handful of cookies with a big glass of chocolate milk to wash them down.
Enjoy your memorial day!

No comments:

Post a Comment