Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rise and Shine it's Time for Breakfast


Good morning! If you've ever read about health and nutrition then you know that eating breakfast is important. It keep you happy, healthy, helps kids perform better in school and when eating breakfast you actually consume LESS calories throughout the day. I've always been a breakfast person so eating breakfast has not been a challenge, what I eat for breakfast has been the challenge.
I would love to have a bagel with cream cheese, or a big stack of fluffy pancakes but my problem with choosing things like that means that I'm "starving" just a couple hours later. As part of the South Beach diet I have changed what I eat for breakfast to scrambled eggs (sometimes with a little ham and cheese, like an omelet), or a hard boiled egg or fried egg with some turkey bacon. Notice the difference? PROTEIN! Eating breakfast like that means that I can make it till lunch, often without a snack, but if I do need a snack I'm content with a piece of cheese or something else small. I feel better all morning and don't feel a carb crash like I did before.
But what about those mornings when I have 4 minutes before I need to get out the door? You're right, standing there and cooking eggs is not an option (which is another reason I boil 4-6 eggs at a time, peel them and have them ready). A great recipe I found on recipezaar was for some muffins that used ground flax seeds, eggs, peanut butter, ricotta cheese, Splenda and a handful of other ingredients. I made mini-muffins since they are really dense but doing a batch of these over the weekend means that on a rushed morning I can grab a hard boiled egg, 1 or 2 of these mini muffins and I've had a healthy, protein filled breakfast on the go! Before I would have grabbed a couple breakfast bars or filled a cup with cereal for the car, again, starting my day with carbs.
Like I mentioned yesterday, if you've not visited recipezaar you should try it out, I've never posted a recipe there and don't get money from them but I love their variety, user comments and ease of printing. I've been searching for South Beach recipes but their search options are endless, give it a try and let me know what recipes you try and like.
In the meantime, enjoy breakfast and think outside the box....the cereal box that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment