Monday, March 30, 2009

Product Opinions- Thumbs Down

Like I mentioned a couple weeks ago in my first Product Opinions post, there are some baby and toddler products I loved and others that I didn't. Again, I want to say that this is just my opinion as a first time parent and I don't think any of these items are un-safe, I just didn't care for them or didn't use them. Again, these are in no certain order.

Chicco High Chair. That is one of the most difficult items for me to give a thumbs down. Chicco has some great products and I loved the stroller and car seat but the high chair was another story. Like I said, it was safe and did the job but unless you want to get toothpicks and Q-tips out to clean this chair I wouldn't recommend adding this to your wish list. I agree that all high chairs have some level of difficulty to clean but the padding in the the corners, the logo on the front strap, the crevice between your child's legs are all places that could be designed better. If you disagree and loved this chair, feel free to comment.

The Piddle Pad. Have you seen these odd shaped car seat pads? They fold and fit into your car seat to prevent a possible diaper leak from soaking the car seat. I'll be honest, it's still in the package in my daughters closet. We did travel by car with an infant (our longest trip was 9 hours) and never had a diaper problem. I think this was something that previous generations would have used since I don't think diapers were designed so well but I can't say if this product works or not, I never used it.

Baby Bjorn body carrier. I have a feeling that this item goes both ways with new parents. I see parents using them and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that love them but, for the value, we didn't use it much at all. Twice I think? I did have a Playtex Hip Hammock that I really liked and used but the Baby Bjorn was something I always had in the car and always thought I'd use more than I did. Before adding this to your wish list I'd think about how you spend your free time now and remember, you could always go out and buy one later or hang on to some of those gift cards.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste. This is another one of those common items that everyone seems to be beeping with their scanners. I got half a dozen small tubs and a container that looks like something ice cream could come in and in the first year and a half we haven't used more than a couple ounces. When my daughter has a diaper rash, which is rare thankfully, I use corn starch. That's right, 89 cents in the baking goods isle and a box lasts a long time. I'm NOT a doctor but a family member recommended it to me after saying that's what she used a long time ago and I can see a difference in just a couple hours. Now, if she's got a diaper rash that's a problem I may use the butt paste overnight but during the day, when she's getting frequent diaper changes, I use corn starch. There is also a Johnson's powder (blue cap) that has corn starch added and I keep that in my diaper bag, just in case!

Those are the items that first come to mind but I'm sure I'll add more later, feel free to add your own or comment on any of the items that I've listed here! Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. I tried my sil's carrier and hated it (couldn't figure the thing out) but our last baby (almost 2 years old now, we have 4 children) I bought an ERGO carrier and LOVE it. It's very comfortable (padded straps) and made to fit at your hips (so the weight is distributed), and wonderful for my "petite" sized frame! :)

    We've used Aquaphor for a diaper rash cream from the beginning (almost 8 years now). Maybe I should've been buying cornstarch???!

    ReplyDelete