Sunday, March 22, 2009

Raising a Girl

I found this about two years ago online, just after I found out that I was expecting a girl. I've kept it in her room since then and, although I don't know the writer, it describes so many of my thoughts and fears of raising a daughter.

I won't always be able to protect her from others, but I hope to protect her from herself.
I hope that I can instill in her a love for herself.
I want her to look in the mirror and see somebody beautiful, I don't want to transfer my own self image issues.
I hope that I can teach her how to deflect harsh words.
I hope that I can teach her courage. There are so many opportunities in life I hope she can pursue because she's brave.
I hope to be able help her silence that voice in her head that tells her, "it's too hard" or "you can't do it" because she can.
I hope that she will feel empathy. I hope she can learn to forgive.
When others are hurting, I hope she will choose to help and not be one to kick them further down.
I hope that she will grow to be independent, but allow others to guide her and assist her when needed.
I hope she will learn when to ask for help.
I hope that I can teach her to persevere.
When she doesn't succeed at something, I hope to help her try again. And again. I've know defeat and let it win.
I want her to know defeat and beat it!
I hope that her self worth will be based on her accomplishments and successes.
A man in her life should not be a determining factor in how happy she can be.
I hope that she will remember her friends and not give them up for a temporary relationship.
I hope she sees how her dad loves me.
She should know that true love doesn't hurt.
I hope she will how much she is loved.
We are her family.
Always.
She needs me.
She needs me becuase I've been there and felt that hurt and felt the joys.
I hope that I'm up for that challenge.
I hope that I can accept her for who she becomes.

3 comments:

  1. That is so incredible!! I'd love to use it for my little Pea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's great! Just having a baby girl, it really hits home. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'll be sure to look for that Newsweek article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sweet! I should print that up too!

    ReplyDelete