Saturday, March 7, 2009

Shopping $mart - Yard Sales


I've always been up for a bargain but since becoming a mom I've really started paying more and more attention to being a smart shopper. I do my best to cut coupons (does anyone have any tips for organizing them?), I shop sale ads, and I try to avoid unnecessary trips to the store to avoid unnecessary purchases. Plus, I LOVE yard sales.
Now I plan yard sale trips like a grocery store trip, carefully plan my route and keep small bills and change on hand in a change purse I can keep in my pocket. I have a strategy going in to get a feel for what I can expect. I start with the clothing first to determine sizes, girls or boys, condition? As long as they are size my daughter is in or will be in the next year I start looking. If it's boys clothes I look for basic items and depending on the condition, I think about play clothes and go from there. The condition of the clothes gives me a feel for toys, books and videos or DVDs. Everyone hears that kids outgrow clothes before they wear them out and that's true, plus if I do really well at a yard sale I make a mental note and when I see a sign that they are having a sale, I know the sizes and condition are probably the same. Before paying, I do a quick check on what I have and what my total is and decide whether I feel like negotiating or not. If I decide to, then I know I have small bills on hand to pay the price I bargained. Something doesn't seem right about bargaining from $10 to $8 then pulling out a $10 bill. Plus, I never bargain with kids if they are the ones selling their items. I remember being that age and selling my things and the fact that they are there and participating makes me willing to pay the price, if I want the item.
As the weather gets warmer, check the paper, watch for signs and check craigslist for postings in your area. If you have kids, you'll be glad you did!
If you want more tips for shopping smart, visit Heather at Just Doing My Best for lots of great tips and coupons!

No comments:

Post a Comment