Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Parents- Each Day is a Gift

I love blogging about fun stuff, light stuff, but this isn't one of those posts. This may be one that you opt not to read and that's okay. My question is, how is your relationship with your parents? Before you roll your eyes and skip this post let me tell you where I'm coming from.

I'm less than 35 years old, married with a young child and almost two years ago my dad passed away. He had liver cancer for 7 years and, although he wasn't sick all the time, he had more than enough hospital visits, tests, procedures, trips to ICU, etc. and there isn't a day that goes by that I wouldn't love to have another day or week with him to talk, laugh, listen to stories and have him spend time with his only grandchild. From when she was born, till he passed, it was four months and I am thankful for the time they had together but I can't help but wish there had been more.


I'm not an expert on relationships or dealing with emotions and maybe some bad things happened between you and your parents but good things happened too, which ones are you holding on to? The good and the bad are both true but you have a choice and I know the disagreements I had with my dad only symbolize lost or wasted time. If you are reading this and your parents are still living, don't wish later that things had been different, make things the way you want them to be NOW. Each day is a gift, that's why it's called the present. Enjoy it, treasure it and don't regret it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment